Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Yes. It Is All About Me.

Some days back, I came across a term, and certainly not a new term, but this time, I thought a bit about it. It was a sentence, describing someone as a social climber. An opportunist. A die hard Leaver-For-Something-Bigger-Better.

It could well be that for once, it hit closer to home. It's not that I have been leaving people for something bigger, something better. It's not that I've been kicking out old connections, atleast not unless they're very old, or very useless. It's the realisation that moving on to better things comes naturally to me. A tad too naturally. I have left everything from my hobby to my job to my hair dresser the minute someone better came along. I've sometimes even left behind all the possibilities of joy and happiness, out of temptation for further happiness.

But what has been true is, wherever I was, I've always been honest with whoever, unless they really weren't worth it. Like my very first hair dresser. That bitch wouldn't stop telling me to straighten my hair. Dear God. Straightening? And me? So... not in the season. Ever. Poor hair dresser. She ain't touching my prettie locks again.

I worked my first job at 16. A known woman, who taught drama for a prestigious (and prestige is always questionable) London college.

I moved on to a theatre company, run possibly by only a madman.

I took a sabbatical from there, and worked for the foremost theatre in the city.

I worked on a few high profile events in the middle of it.

I went back to an ambitious project by the aforementioned madman.

Now, I've moved on again, to something possibly the biggest name in the field it belongs to. Or controls.

I wonder how much bigger can it get.

I know, how every sentence starts with I here, but I did spend 21 years putting it second, third or last. So fuck all those who said I am not that important. I realised, in the last few days, just how ambitious I am, and how ambitious I can be. And it's not in the least scaring me, like it would. I am beginning to think I wouldn't put it past me to steal my senior's client. I wouldn't put it past me to steal their best friend. And I'd do it well, too.

This is such a self congratulatory post, I'm amazed you're not disgusted already.

I also realised how I've narrowed down my friends to a handful. I can't be bothered by those who lie, those who cold-shoulder (not my term, but close enough), those who drop you like a hot potato when you're feeling like shit, and then call you and apologise, and give excuses and pretend they weren't in touch with the rest of the world. Fact is, it's a small world. If you lie, you're going to get caught. Somehow. Somewhere. It's smaller than you thought. It's as if the entire earth lives on the tail of an asteroid. You will know atleast 5 people who independantly know me. And vice-a-versa. So try not to lie. Keep it simple. And possibly we'll be great acquaintances who meet for tea once a year. And call each other when we need something other than conversation.

Of course, this post makes me sound like a bitch. But better a bitch than living in a happy little bubble, non?

11 Comments:

Blogger SwB said...

.. yer damn right! :)

16:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went back to an ambitious project by the aforementioned madman.- yes he was madman.
"I also realised how I've narrowed down my friends to a handful. I can't be bothered by those who lie, those who cold-shoulder (not my term, but close enough), those who drop you like a hot potato when you're feeling like shit, and then call you and apologise, and give excuses and pretend they weren't in touch with the rest of the world."- i thought u loved the banter you and i share irrespective of the content.u know how other ppl love meaningful conversation!!!!
"That bitch wouldn't stop telling me to straighten my hair. Dear God. Straightening? And me? So... not in the season. Ever. Poor hair dresser."- straigtening is so bourgeoise. its sad that ur ex-hairdresser does not get you.i hate when hairdressers are not sppsed to function this way.
"It's as if the entire earth lives on the tail of an asteroid."- yes lets name it shall we ??? so its called *drum rolls foll by smash of champagne bottles against the asteriody thing* LEWIS CARROLL*applause and fireworks and champagne freely flowing*
"You will know atleast 5 people who independantly know me."- it such a miniscule world out there .its like living on lewis carroll.

21:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate when hairdressers are not sppsed to function this way.- wat i meant is hairdressers shud not function this way

21:21  
Blogger GrasshopperBoy said...

very nice post! its ur life...live it the way u want...even i feel that there is no room in life for *unworthy* ppl. cud be the egoist in me talking tho.

22:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so many jobs in so many fields.. you are truly talented and Multifaceted, dahlink :D
oh dahlink, nobody cold shoulders. you should Get the way they Fucntion :D :D :D

rotflol

00:34  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

SWB, thank you, agreements with my POV are always nice!

Veedy and Appy, now now, we don't want to give the wrong impression do we? we are the nice ones. let's not stoop, shall we? i wonder the exact ramifications of this. i wonder which of my horoscopes is right. *giggle*

Grassboy, aren't you adorable? egomania is fun too, once in a while!!!

07:35  
Blogger GrasshopperBoy said...

hee heeee >:)

10:50  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Oh, the honestest post I've read anywhere in a long long time!
*salutes*

09:56  
Blogger livinghigh said...

and hey, the fly is back to blogging. ;-)
hullo ma'amselle... (was my french ok? doubtful).
and yes, i'm sorry i'm one of those assholes who disappear claiming terrible workload and emotional pressure. but, as u wud see from my own infrequent blogging, its quite a true, true case. sigh. i just hate that, though.

21:17  
Blogger Wild Reeds said...

Dear Bluegreenflysplat,
Firstly nice to read your blog after a while. About dropping friends: I have realised it works both ways. When I drop them, I think its cleaning emotional deadwood, but when they drop me, I feel hurt. I think the healthy thing is to let them know why you are dropping them - then even the most needy ones are fine with it.
Nice thought-provoking post!

20:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh this post made more sense when i am listenin to dont speak while readin this.
You and me
We used to be together
Every day together always

I really feel
I'm losing my best friend
I can't believe
This could be the end

It looks as though you're letting go
And it it's real,
Well I don't want to know
Don't speak
I know just what you're saying
So please stop explaining
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts
Don't speak
I know what you're thinking
I don't need your reasons
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts

Our memories
They can be inviting
But some are altogether
Mighty frightening

As we die, both you and I
With my head in my hands
I sit and cry

It's all ending
I gotta stop pretending who we are...

You and me
I can see us dying ... are we?
Chorus

23:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home