Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Snow Angels and Similar Wintery Nonsense......

Winter is a strange season. Every time I think of winter, I think Ally McBeal. I keep seeing her walking in the snow, and I see Larry and Billy and all the others she thought she could have loved.

Winter, it’s confusing. It has these periods where you feel like nothings going to come out of everything that you do and everything that you have so far done, it’s been for nothing. Winter sometimes makes you realise the futility of existence, almost like saying to yourself, eventually, we’re going to die anyways, and eventually, we’ll be forgotten, and eventually, all the people we love will die, and eventually, we will all be alone, just like we constantly keep kidding ourselves we aren’t.

Eventually. There will be nothing to look forward to but getting lost in the dust.

And sometimes, winter makes me cry. Winter makes me cry through the nights, because it makes me realise there will eventually be just me to give me company. Winter makes me love people a lot more, perhaps because the warmth doesn’t make people sweat like it does in the summers. And loving people makes you miss them more. And more and more. Because you know that they’ll go away. I feel sometimes like a kid standing on a terrace waving at airplanes passing overhead.

Winter is confusing. It has bloody Christmas in it. With no disrespect to Diwali (it’s too noisy and sometimes the stories of card parties piss me off), there is the universal Hallmark™ feeling that advertising has tagged onto it, which will make you think and rethink your life. It’ll make you wish for hot coffee/cocoa and lots of Xmassy things like chocolate and cake and etcetera. There will be the promise of laughter, of cheeks turning pink because of cold, frosty air, love, joy, enthusiasm and other such placebos we create. Add ons to these are the stores and restaurants and coffee shops with all that cheesy/cheery decoration thing going, carols blaring out non-stop out of tastefully hidden speakers, silly Santa caps on random people you pass on your way home, RJs on the radio telling you how Santa will be dropping love and goodies in your chimney (the fact that you don’t have one doesn’t count).

Makes you forget that life sucked last week, and you wanted to dig a hole and take up permanent residence in it. Fucking winter. Bah & humbug and Lewis Carroll.

9 Comments:

Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Hi have come to your blog through Casablanca's.The food tag thing.
I love your template.Its bright, cheerful and almost invigorating.

And then you talked of Ally Mcbeal!..I think she was whacky and confused and silly but I still liked her.

I don't know about Santa coming my way, havent been much of a good girl.But yeah I do think winter tells me, that summer will be here again!

12:57  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Yayyy... I completed the food tag!

Now everyone is blaming me for making them hungry :O

17:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winter's beautiful.. Winter's surreal... Winter's hope.. Winter's an illusion.. Winter's cold.. Winter's love.. Winter? There just isn't enough..

Eventually, I guess, nothing remains the way you want it to remain phal... Isn't that something to do wid change? I dunno, but somehow, I've felt we all associate or at least hope to associate happiness with constancy and sorrow wid change.. When things r good, we forget that these will change.. When things are bad, we forget these will never remain the same..

I guess that's what we need to know.. Things change.. Feelings change.. People change.. and sure enough, seasons change too!! (In mumbai more so!!)

If its a bad time now.. Or even a confusing time? Know that it'll go away. Yeah, it'll be back.. But i guess it's REALLY about what comes in the middle na?

Rohan

19:51  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Now to comment on your present post...
I think christmas, or new year, or one's birthday... they are just excuses to feel happy, because sometimes we forget how easy it is. I know it sounds too high and mighty, but I seriously like the festive season... because even if I am alone, I can smile.

PS: Ye Rohan kaun hai? Bahut bolta hai. Hahahahaha :D

22:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish i could hibernate and avoid the blood season all together

00:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*bloody

00:06  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

Cas, applausement on completing food tag!!!

E.U.: Christmas rocks. *puts on Santa hat and laughs all the way*

Rohan, let's have this conversation in person.

Cassy: All excuses to feel joyful and happy and over the moon are welcome. Except weddings maybe.

Veed, but the cold is so much fun, why sleep it away. I woulda dug my hole already otherwise naa?

00:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let the sulk mode begin.my only wish during xmas- play in the snow.wish me luck for tom

08:01  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

I love winters!
But then it might be because I love snuggling up and wearing layers and layers of clothes.

I love the snow and the chilly air...

Havent seen proper winter in years.

:(

01:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home